Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Baby Charlie’s parents bid to take case to European Court of Human Rights

A panel of three Supreme Court justices dismissed the couple’s latest challenge after a hearing in London.

A couple who want to take their sick baby son to the US for treatment are hoping to take their case to the European Court of Human Rights after losing a fight in the Supreme Court.

Chris Gard and Connie Yates want 10-month-old Charlie Gard, who suffers from a rare genetic condition and has brain damage, to undergo a therapy trial.

Specialists at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London, where Charlie is being cared for, say therapy proposed by a doctor in America is experimental and will not help.

They say life support treatment should stop. A High Court judge in April ruled against a trip to America and in favour of Great Ormond Street doctors.

Mr Justice Francis concluded that life support treatment should end and said Charlie should be allowed to die with dignity.

Three Court of Appeal judges upheld that ruling in May.

Related content

A panel of three Supreme Court justices on Thursday dismissed the couple’s latest challenge after a hearing in London.

But justices said doctors should continue treating Charlie for 24 hours to give judges in Strasbourg, France, time to look at the case.

Ms Yates screamed as Supreme Court justices announced their decision.

Charlie’s mother left the hearing in tears and broke down outside the court room.

“How can they do this to us?” she yelled.

“They are lying. Why don’t they tell the truth?”

Mr Justice Francis had made a ruling on April 11 after a trial in the Family Division of the High Court in London.

He heard that Charlie, who was born on August 4 last year, had a form of mitochondrial disease, a condition which causes progressive muscle weakness and brain damage.

Specialists in the USA have offered a therapy called nucleoside.

Charlie’s parents, who are in their 30s and come from Bedfont, west London, have appealed for money on a GoFundMe page to cover doctors’ bills in America. They reached a £1.2 million target before the High Court trial.

People are continuing to donate and the fund has now topped £1.3 million.

Mr Justice Francis said Great Ormond Street doctors had considered the experimental treatment, but decided it would not help Charlie.

He said the case had never been “about money”.

A panel of three Supreme Court justices analysed the couple’s case at a hearing in London. Justices considered preliminary arguments and were asked to decide whether to give the go-ahead for a full appeal hearing.

Lady Hale, Deputy President of the Supreme Court and the most senior justice on the panel, said justices had decided to block the couple’s appeal bid.

She said any judge was bound to have the utmost sympathy with Charlie’s parents. But she said Mr Justice Francis had made decisions he was entitled to make.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph