BBC 'has shed 2,000 jobs and axed one in 10 senior managers'
The BBC has cut more than 2,000 employees over the past 10 years and axed one in 10 senior managers since last year, the broadcaster's annual report will say.
The corporation reduced senior manager numbers to 356 from 401 last year and 640 in 2009.
The reduction of more than 2000 employees over the course of the current 10-year Royal Charter period, which is set to run until December 31, has saved more than £150 million a year, the report will say when it is published today.
The senior manager pay bill has been cut by £5 million for a 40% reduction since 2009 to ensure a "lean and simple" BBC.
Director-general Lord Tony Hall previously told MPs there had been an £8 million reduction in talent pay when he appeared before the Culture, Media and Sport Committee.
Some 6% of the BBC's controllable spend was spent on running the organisation, leaving 94% for content and delivery, the annual document will say.
Lord Hall is expected to hail popular shows such as The Night Manager, War And Peace and The Great British Bake Off as showing the BBC at its strongest when he launches the report.
A BBC source said: "Programmes like the Night Manager and War And Peace have shown the BBC at its creative best over the past year and by cutting senior managers and back office costs we've been able to focus more of our money on the things which really matter to the public.
"There are still tough financial challenges ahead, so the search for savings is not over, but the progress we've made will help us create a BBC fit for the digital age which continues to act as a creative beacon to the world."
The report is also expected to address BBC Three's move online, as well as the expanded reach of the World Service, the micro:bit launch to schoolchildren and 6 Music's emergence as the most listened-to digital-only station, as well as the corporation's vision for the next 11-year Charter and expectation to deliver annual savings of £700 million per year by 2016/17.