Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Better airliner tracking announced

Aviation industry plans to improve global tracking following the Malaysia jet disappearance will be ready in September, the International Air Transport Association (Iata) has said.

Announcing the date, the association's chief Tony Tyler repeated his earlier message that there must be "no repeat" of the flight MH370 incident.

Nothing has been found of the Malaysia Airlines' Boeing 777, which vanished on March 8 with 239 people on board en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

Speaking at a world air transport summit in Doha today, Mr Tyler, Iata's director general and chief executive, said: "The loss of MH370 points us to an immediate need.

"A large commercial airliner going missing without a trace for so long is unprecedented in modern aviation. It must not happen again. Iata, the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) and experts from around the world are working together to identify the best recommendations for improved global tracking.

"By September, we will deliver draft options to ICAO.

Iata's g lobal aviation data management project is building the world's largest resource of operational information with data from a global spectrum of industry and government contributors.

Mr Tyler added: "Our ultimate goal is to predict the potential for accidents and so ensure that they don't happen. This is not science fiction. Each new data contribution and every improvement in our analytical capabilities moves this closer to reality."

Last week, Australia' s Joint Agency Co-ordination Centre announced an end to the search in the southern Indian Ocean for the missing plane, after nothing had been found.

The agency said that an expanded search of 21,600 square miles, based on satellite analysis of the plane's most likely route, would probably begin in August after commercial side-scan sonar operators were contracted.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph