Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Bid to extradite Filipino man over teenager's 'sextortion' death

Published 18/02/2016

Daniel Perry, 17, from Dunfermline, died in July 2013 after allegedly falling victim to a 'sextortion' attempt (Police Scotland/PA)
Daniel Perry, 17, from Dunfermline, died in July 2013 after allegedly falling victim to a 'sextortion' attempt (Police Scotland/PA)

Prosecutors have launched a bid to extradite a Filipino man over the the death of a Scottish teenager who took his own life after being blackmailed by strangers online.

Daniel Perry, 17, from Dunfermline in Fife, died in July 2013 after allegedly falling victim to a ''sextortion'' attempt, in which internet users are lured into webcam chats and then blackmailed with the footage.

Daniel was said to have believed he was talking to an American girl online but was told by blackmailers that the conversations had been recorded and would be shared with friends and family unless he paid up.

Inquiries by detectives from Police Scotland revealed an electronic online trail, which led to the Philippines and links to organised crime groups there.

A warrant has now been issued for the arrest of Archie Gian Tolin in the Philippines, and the Crown Office want to see him face trial in Scotland.

In 2014 he was arrested and bailed in the Philippines along with many others as part of an operation by British and Filipino police into organised gangs involved in alleged cyber-crime.

The extradition move is thought to be the first since a new extradition treaty came into force between the UK and the Philippines.

A Crown Office spokesman said: "A warrant has been issued for the arrest of Archie Gian Tolin in connection with the death of Daniel Perry.

"Steps are now being taken to enforce that warrant and secure his extradition from the Philippines."

After the initial operation in the Philippines, Police Scotland warned there was "no hiding place" for those involved in extortion and blackmail.

On Thursday, Detective Chief Inspector Gary Cunningham said: "Following the death of Daniel Perry, Police Scotland has continued its inquiries along with a number of other agencies including Interpol and the authorities within the Philippines.

"A 20-year-old man is now subject to an international arrest warrant in connection with this investigation and it would be inappropriate to comment further at this time."

Speaking in 2014, Daniel's mother, Nicola Perry, said: ''The manner of Daniel's death is every parent's worst nightmare.

''Losing Daniel has left us all devastated and we are still trying to come to terms with what has happened.''

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph