Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Bin lorry crash driver Harry Clarke quits Glasgow City Council post

Published 30/10/2015

Harry Clarke has resigned from his post at Glasgow City Council
Harry Clarke has resigned from his post at Glasgow City Council

The driver of the bin lorry that crashed in Glasgow killing six people last year has resigned from his job at the city council.

Harry Clarke, 58, was behind the wheel of the vehicle when it veered out of control in the city centre three days before Christmas.

A fatal accident inquiry into the lorry crash held earlier this year heard Mr Clarke lost consciousness at the wheel of the council refuse truck.

A spokesman for the local authority said today: "Harry Clarke has resigned with immediate effect and is no longer an employee of Glasgow City Council."

Mr Clarke had been due to attend for a disciplinary meeting today but resigned beforehand.

He was suspended from work by council bosses in August " on a precautionary basis'' ahead of a full investigation.

The move came as the FAI at Glasgow Sheriff Court into the tragedy was told Mr Clarke did not disclose his medical history when completing a health questionnaire when he applied to work for the council.

The inquiry, which adjourned on August 28, heard evidence he had a history of health issues including fainting, dizziness and stress.

Erin McQuade, 18, and her grandparents Jack Sweeney, 68, and Lorraine Sweeney, 69, from Dumbarton, West Dunbartonshire, died from multiple injuries after being hit by the truck.

Stephenie Tait, 29, and Jacqueline Morton, 51, both from Glasgow, and Gillian Ewing, 52, from Edinburgh, were also killed as the lorry travelled out of control along Queen Street and towards George Square before crashing in to the side of the Millennium Hotel.

Sheriff John Beckett QC, who heard the FAI, said he did not expect to issue his determination in less than two months, but he would endeavour to do so by January at the latest.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph