Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Body confirmed to be missing Karen

Published 16/04/2015

Karen Buckley failed to return home from a night out at the weekend
Karen Buckley failed to return home from a night out at the weekend
Police block a road near Windyhill Golf club, Glasgow, as they search for Karen Buckley

The family of Karen Buckley say they are "absolutely heartbroken" after remains found on farmland outside Glasgow were confirmed to be that of the missing student.

Her father John Buckley, 62, said the 24-year-old from Cork in Ireland was an outgoing girl who "thoroughly enjoyed life".

Relatives released a statement as Police Scotland confirmed that human remains discovered by officers investigating the disappearance of Miss Buckley were that of the student.

She vanished after a night out at Glasgow's Sanctuary nightclub, sparking a major hunt.

Yesterday an area around High Craigton Farm on the north-western outskirts of the city was cordoned off and a 21-year-old man was detained and arrested.

He is expected to be charged in connection with Miss Buckley's death at a hearing at Glasgow Sheriff Court tomorrow.

In a statement read by Detective Superintendent Jim Kerr, Mr Buckley said: "Marian and I, together with our sons Brendan, Kieran, and Damian are absolutely heartbroken.

"Karen was our only daughter, cherished by her family and loved by her friends.

"She was an outgoing girl who travelled the world, where she met lots of people and thoroughly enjoyed her life.

"We will miss her terribly."

Det Supt Kerr said: "We cannot imagine the pain and suffering of Karen's family and friends and all our thoughts are with them at this very sad and distressing time."

"We would like to take this opportunity to thank the public and the communities both here and in Ireland for their significant assistance during this investigation. I t was very, very helpful.

"We would also like to take this opportunity to thank the news media for their sustained effort and support throughout this inquiry."

Friends raised the alarm on Sunday morning after the 24-year-old failed to return from the night out.

A four-day search, including specialist police divers, a helicopter crew and search dogs, led officers to High Craigton Farm on the north-western outskirts of Glasgow where human remains were recovered last night.

Searches had previously focused on Dawsholm Park, where Miss Buckley's handbag was found on Tuesday, and a property in the city's Dorchester Avenue.

A police presence remained at the sites today.

Ms Buckley moved to Scotland in February and was a first-year occupational therapy student at Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU).

As police continue inquiries, donations have poured into a fund set up by the 24-year-old's former nursing classmates from Limerick University.

The 24-hour appeal has so far received pledges of more than £47,000 to assist Miss Buckley's family, who travelled to Scotland from Cork when their daughter was reported missing.

The fund, which closes at 9.30pm tonight, can be found at: http://www.gofundme.com/s3k8ry2jg.

The high profile case has touched many people, with politicians in Scotland and Ireland offering their condolences.

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said: ''My thoughts today are very much with the family and friends of Karen Buckley.''

Ireland's minister for foreign affairs Charlie Flanagan said: ''On behalf of the government, I wish to express appreciation for all that has been done by the Scottish authorities, and especially Police Scotland in Glasgow, to find Karen and to support the Buckley family throughout this very difficult time.''

The Sanctuary nightclub will not open tonight as a mark of respect for Miss Buckley.

A message on the nightclub's Facebook page said: ''Heartbreaking news about Karen Buckley, our thoughts are with all her family and friends at this difficult time.

''As a mark of respect for Karen, we will not be opening the Sanctuary tonight. RIP Karen.''

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph