Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Boris Johnson backs Bruce Springsteen after plug pulled

'If they'd called me, my answer would have been for them to jam in the name of the Lord'

By Lisa WIlliams

London Mayor Boris Johnson has waded into the row over the plug being pulled on a gig featuring rock stars Bruce Springsteen and Sir Paul McCartney.

The legendary pair were silenced after defying the sound curfew at Hard Rock Calling in Hyde Park, London, on Saturday.

Sir Paul had joined Springsteen on stage at the end of the singer's headline slot in Hyde Park, but both stars found their microphones cut off before they could address the crowds.

Springsteen, known for his long performances, had been playing for more than three hours and had exceeded the curfew by half-an-hour.

The singer welcomed Sir Paul to the stage to sing Beatles hits I Saw Her Standing There and Twist And Shout, but neither performer had the chance to thank the crowd.

Mr Johnson said the musicians should have been allowed to continue their set. He said: “It sounds to me like an excessively efficacious decision. You won't get that during the Olympics.

“If they'd have called me, my answer would have been for them to jam in the name of the Lord!”

Westminster council said: “Concert organisers, not the council, ended last night's concert in Hyde Park to comply with their licence, which allows them to run the concert until 10.30pm.”

Springsteen’s guitarist Steven Van Zand tweeted: “When did England become a police state?”

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph