Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Boy burned by overhead power cable

A teenage boy has been badly burned by a live overhead power cable while playing in a railway yard.

The boy, 17, was with a group of friends inside the depot in Hunters Lane in Rugby, Warwickshire, at about 9.55pm yesterday when the accident happened, West Midlands Ambulance Service (WMAS) said.

It is understood the youngster had been on top of a freight train container carriage and made contact with the power line with his neck as he went to turn around, according to the initial emergency call.

Medics said the injuries to the boy, who did not have permission to be in the yard, highlighted the severe dangers of playing on the railway.

A WMAS spokesman said: "The teenage boy was reportedly playing with friends when he came into contact with an overhead cable.

"He had serious burns to his neck and slighter burns to his shoulders and feet.

"His burns were treated and dressed at the scene."

The injured boy was taken to the University Hospital Coventry in a stable condition.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph