British writer among Morocco dead
Diplomats are trying to establish whether any other UK nationals were caught up in a terrorist bomb that ripped through a busy tourist cafe in Morocco, killing at least one Briton.
British writer Peter Moss was among the 16 victims of Thursday's blast in the popular Djemma el-Fna square in Marrakech. The city is a popular destination for British tourists.
The Foreign Office (FCO) confirmed that a Briton was among the dead. The Jewish Chronicle said father-of-two Mr Moss, 59, who used to write for the newspaper, had been killed in the explosion.
The FCO said: "The next of kin have been informed and we are providing consular assistance. Our consular staff in Marrakech continue working to establish whether any other British nationals are involved."
A spokeswoman said that the FCO was continuing to review its travel advice for Morocco and Marrakech, but its overall level had not been changed, adding: "Our advice already makes clear that there is a general threat from terrorism in Morocco and that attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers."
An FCO helpline has been set up for anyone concerned about family or friends who may have been caught up in the incident, on 020 7008 5355.
The country's king, Mohammed VI, visited the scene of the bombing on Saturday. The monarch spent about 10 minutes inspecting the debris caused by the nail bomb, which exploded at lunchtime in the well-known Argana cafe.
Most of the dead were foreigners - among them French, Dutch and Canadian tourists. At least 20 more people were injured.
On its website, the London-based Jewish Chronicle said Mr Moss had two children and had also worked as a broadcaster, comedian and novelist.
Laurie Margolis, 60, a friend of Mr Moss, said: "He was an interesting guy. He reinvented himself twice. His family business was in property. Then 15 or 20 years ago he reinvented himself as a stand up comic, and then he reinvented himself as a travel writer."