Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Briton remanded over 'terror offences' linked to Ukraine conflict

Published 28/09/2016

Benjamin Stimson's next appearance will be at the Old Bailey
Benjamin Stimson's next appearance will be at the Old Bailey

A British man has appeared in court charged with terrorism offences linked to the conflict in eastern Ukraine.

Benjamin Stimson is thought to be the first Briton charged under terror legislation for alleged involvement in the civil war in the eastern European country.

The 41-year-old from Oldham, Greater Manchester appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court in London on Wednesday morning, court officials confirmed.

He is accused of two offences, one involving "the intention of committing acts of terrorism and engaging in conduct in preparation for giving effect to his intention", and the second "the intention of committing acts of terrorism and assisting acts of terrorism".

Stimson was interviewed by the BBC while he was with a pro-Russian separatist militia group in eastern Ukraine in October 2015.

He was filmed saying he would be prepared to kill if his life was threatened and he would see it as an act of war.

However, in a video posted on YouTube last month, he claimed the journalists had told him to handle a gun.

He said: "They told me to pick a weapon up."

Stimson also denied any involvement in military action, saying he had gone to the country to drive ambulances and at the time of the interview was trying to get away from the militia.

Court staff said Stimson was remanded in custody to appear next at the Old Bailey on October 7.

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph