Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Brother of Manchester suicide bomber Salman Abedi arrested in Libya - reports

Libyan media is reporting that Hashem Abedi, the younger brother of Manchester suicide bomber Salman, has been arrested by the Special Deterrence Force in Tripoli.

It comes as police revealed an off-duty officer was among the victims of the Manchester Arena bomb attack on Monday.

Greater Manchester Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said: "Very sadly I can confirm one of the victims is a serving police officer. In respect of the family's wishes I will make no further comment at this stage."

The BBC reported that the officer was with her husband and two children.

All three were injured, the husband critically, the corporation said. Sources said the family are from Cheshire.

Mr Hopkins said all the victims will not be named until post mortems have taken place, a process which he said could take up to five days given the number of victims.

He said he has spoken to the families of all the 22 killed in the blast.

The police chief described the pace of the ongoing investigation as "intense" and "continuing at a fast pace".

A raid was taking place at an address in central Manchester on Wednesday afternoon.

Mr Hopkins said there are currently four people in police custody.

A number of names of victims emerged across Tuesday and Wednesday, including a Polish couple and teenager Olivia Campbell.

Angelika and Marcin Klis have been confirmed as among those who died on Monday.

Polish Foreign Minister Witold Waszczykowski said the couple’s two girls were safe after the explosion that also left 64 injured.

He told a Polish radio station: "The parents came after the concert to collect their daughters and unfortunately we have information that they are dead. The children are safe."

Another Polish citizen was wounded in the attack and has undergone surgery in a hospital. He is a father but no further details about his identity have been released.

A spokesman for the country's foreign ministry said "at least two people have died and one person has been injured" but could not confirm any further details.

And the mother of 15-year-old Olivia Campbell has paid tribute to her “precious” daughter as she revealed she had died in the Manchester Arena bombing.

The family of the teenager, from Bury, Greater Manchester, had spent Tuesday frantically searching for her, hoping that she was one of the dozens of injured people injured in the blast receiving treatment in hospital.

But in the early hours of Wednesday Charlotte Campbell revealed her daughter had died in the blast.

Earlier it was confirmed that missing Stockport man Martyn Hett was also mong the 22 dead.

The 29-year-old's family had been appealing for information about their son who had been missing since the Ariana Grande concert on Monday night which ended in tragedy.

Martyn had been at the concert with a friend but the Manchester Evening News reported that he went to the bar around 20 minutes before the explosion and did not make contact again afterwards.

His friend Ryssell Hayward said: ‘We got the news last night that our wonderful iconic and beautiful Martyn didn’t survive. He left this world exactly how he lived, centre of attention.

‘I’m in a really bad way so please forgive if I don’t reply. Thankfully I have his wonderful family and amazing friends to keep each other strong.

‘I love you, I always will. x’

An eight-year-old girl and a college student were the first people to be named as victims of the Manchester terror attack on Tuesday as the UK came to terms with the atrocity.

Saffie Roussos (8), who was killed in the attack, was described by the headteacher at her school in Preston as a "beautiful little girl".

Another victim was named by her college as Georgina Callander (18), who was studying health and social care at Runshaw College in Leyland, Lancashire. And tributes have been paid to 26-year-old John Atkinson from Bury, who was named by friends on Facebook as an apparent victim.

At least 22 people have been killed and up to 120 injured after a suspected terrorist attack at the Manchester Arena.

Fifty-nine people were taken for treatment at eight hospitals across Greater Manchester. A further 60 were treated as 'walking wounded'. It is understood that 20 of those being treated in hospital are "critically ill".

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph