Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Cameron refuses to back Prince Andrew over sex scandal

Westminster: The Prime Minister has declined to offer the sex scandal-hit Duke of York his public support during an interview.

When David Cameron was asked if Andrew, who has been accused of having under-age sex with a teenager, had his support he declined to comment.

"I'm not going to make any comment on it. Obviously, the Prince has made his own views very, very clear, and I think I'll leave it at that," the Prime Minister told LBC for Heart FM Wales.

Andrew has faced mounting controversy after he was named in US court documents as having sex with a woman, identified in reports as Virginia Roberts, on three separate occasions when she was a minor.

She is said to have been "procured" for Prince Andrew by US billionaire and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, who she accuses of using her as a "sex slave".

Andrew vehemently denies the allegations, which have been described by Buckingham Palace as "false and without any foundation".

Ms Roberts, a US citizen, waived her anonymity in an interview with The Mail On Sunday in 2011, in which she claimed she had been sexually exploited by Epstein - a former friend of the Duke.

In US court papers Ms Roberts goes further and alleges that between 1999 and 2002 she "was forced to have sexual relations with this prince when she was a minor'' in London, New York and on a private Caribbean island owned by Epstein.

In other developments the Daily Telegraph reported Epstein paid the legal fees of witnesses who have refused to answer direct questions about whether young girls were "provided for sex" to the Duke.

They include Nadia Marcinkova, described as "Epstein's live-in sex slave", who invoked the Fifth Amendment and stayed silent when she was asked about Andrew, according to the newspaper.

And the Daily Mail reported that court papers show that Epstein went to great lengths to stop the young girls he allegedly abused from speaking to the FBI.

Epstein reportedly tracked them down and promised to "look after" them if they did not speak.

Those who refused were harassed and warned "bad things" would happen to them, it is alleged.

Sturgeon hails ‘heroic’ Ebola nurse

Edinburgh: Scotland’s First Minister has hailed the “quiet heroism” of a British nurse who is critically ill with Ebola as she warned the UK is likely to experience more cases of the disease.

Nicola Sturgeon said there could be “a small number of additional cases” of Ebola.

Scottish nurse Pauline Cafferkey (39), who was diagnosed with the virus after returning from voluntary work in Sierra Leone, is being treated at the Royal Free Hospital in London where she “remains critical”, the First Minister said.

Ms Sturgeon said that by helping people in Africa, aid workers were helping reduce the risk of Ebola globally. “It is why we are so deeply grateful for the quiet heroism of Pauline Cafferkey and many others like her, from Scotland, the rest of the UK and from many other countries, who make all of us safer by placing themselves at risk,” she said.

With more health workers due to return to the UK from Sierra Leone in the next two weeks, Ms Sturgeon added:“I hope there are no other cases identified in Scotland or the UK but it is likely we will see other cases, a small number of additional cases, and we need to keep learning from the experience of dealing with them.”

‘Great Escaper’ who travelled to D-Day ceremony dies aged 90

East Sussex: A war veteran who left his care home to attend the 70th anniversary D-Day commemorations in France has died aged 90.

Bernard Jordan — dubbed the Great Escaper after his cross-Channel adventure last year — died peacefully in hospital. His death was announced by Gracewell Healthcare, which runs The Pines care home in Hove, where Mr Jordan, known as Bernie, lived.

Mr Jordan hit headlines globally when he disappeared from the care home to embark on a trip to the D-Day anniversary events in Normandy.

His disappearance sparked a police search and his whereabouts were uncovered when a veteran phoned to say he had met Mr Jordan and he was safe.

Female suicide bomber kills officer

Turkey: A female suicide bomber blew herself up at a police station in Istanbul, killing a policeman and wounding another, according to Turkish news agencies.

The woman entered the police station and reported a missing wallet before detonating a bomb, Istanbul governor Vasip Sahin said. The attack occurred in the Sultan Ahmet district, a popular tourist destination.

It is the second attack on police in a week in Istanbul. Last Thursday, police subdued a man after he threw grenades and fired a weapon at officers near the prime minister’s offices.

The leftist Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party-Front, or DHKP-C, said it carried out the Thursday attack. DHKP-C is considered as a terrorist organisation by Turkey, the US and the European Union.

Mr Sahin said that police are still trying to identify the woman who died in yesterday’s attack.

“She spoke in English, entered (the police station) on the pretext that she had lost her wallet,” he said.

Shot officers critical after market robbery attack

New York:  Two New York City police officers are in a critical but stable condition in hospital after being shot while responding to a robbery in the Bronx, authorities said.

The plain clothes officers were nearing the end of their shift late on Monday when they and three others responded to a report of a robbery at a small market. Police said they spotted two possible suspects and one opened fire.

A 30-year-old officer was shot in his left arm and lower back and a 38-year-old was hit in his left arm and chest.

Parade ‘King’ killed after  throne falls from chariot

Spain: A man who was acting out the role of one of the Three Kings in an Epiphany parade has died after the throne he was riding in hit an overhead cable and overturned.

The 20-year-old, whose identity has not been disclosed, had been playing King Balthazar during Monday’s parade in the southern Spanish town of Nijar when a cable caused his throne to topple off the chariot it had been placed on, mayor Antonio Jesus Rodriguez said.

The young man died of his injuries early yesterday, Almeria’s Torrecardenas hospital said.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph