Camilla: Terror attack response shows Britain at its best
The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall toured the Royal London Hospital.
The actions of medical staff and volunteers in response to the London Bridge terror attack showed “Britain at its best”, the Duchess of Cornwall said as she met hospital patients and workers.
Camilla and the Prince of Wales visited the Royal London Hospital, where 12 injured victims were taken on Saturday night.
The royal couple were shown around the hospital, in the east of the city, by Barts Health NHS Trust chief executive Alwen Williams and A&E clinical director Dr Malik Ramadhan.
The Royal couple are thanking some of the staff who responded to the terrorist attack on Saturday night. pic.twitter.com/lieF5aaTsd— Barts Health (@NHSBartsHealth) June 6, 2017
Staff told how passers-by had stopped to help as the incident unfolded, at times simply by talking to the victims to keep them conscious.
Camilla said: “It’s Britain at its best isn’t it? Everybody pulls together, there doesn’t seem to be any panic.”
She added: “Everybody gets on and does their job.”
Among those who met the royals were Dr Chris Lambert and paramedic Tracy Porter, who were called to the north end of the bridge as reports of the attack emerged. They said they saw victims with stab wounds and those who had been run over by the van.
Camilla told them patients were in “the best possible hands”.
Speaking afterwards, Dr Lambert said: “In a way we see those kind of injuries every day, but obviously not in such great numbers and in such a sort of intense, emotional scene with so much else going on.”
Charles told staff at the adult critical care unit who thanked him for visiting: “It was the least I could do.”
After the prince asked how they all managed to make it in to work at such short notice, anaesthetic nurse Natalie Poole told him she had walked the remaining two miles to the hospital after getting a taxi from her home in Battersea.
He told the 34-year-old and her co-workers: “I have so much admiration for all you are doing, it’s a fantastic team.”
Ms Poole, from Durham, and her colleagues said six patients were taken into surgery in the immediate aftermath of the attack.
Among the patients visited by Charles and Camilla was Sunday Express business editor Geoff Ho, who was stabbed in the neck.
Earlier on Tuesday, Mr Ho released a statement telling how he was injured while trying to protect a friend from the terrorists.