Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Car crash a second family tragedy

The devastated parents of a football-mad schoolboy killed in freak sporting accident have been hit by a second tragedy after the death of their teenage daughter in a car crash.

Casey Breese, 12, was killed when a metal goalpost fell on him after he became entangled in its net during a kick around with friends in Caersws, near his home in mid Wales, in July 2011.

Parents Shan and Nick Breese are said to be "traumatised" after their 18-year-old daughter Kelly Marie Breese was killed in a single-car crash yesterday evening.

Police family liaison officers are giving support to the couple as they struggle to come to terms with the second death of a child.

A police spokesman said: "Dyfed-Powys Police is investigating a single-vehicle fatal RTC (road traffic collision) that occurred at approx 9.30pm on Sunday October 13 .

"The car, a Vauxhall Corsa, collided with a tree on the B4568 road between Llanwnog and Aberhafesp.

"The emergency services worked together to try and save the casualty, but tragically the female driver was pronounced dead at the scene. The family has been informed and are being supported at this time.

"Formal identification has yet to be carried out, but in order to prevent speculation, the family have agreed to name the woman - Kelly Marie Breese, 18 years old, from Caersws.

"Anyone who witnessed the incident or has any information, please contact the roads policing unit in Newtown on 101."

Schoolboy Casey was playing in goal on a summer day at a recreation ground in Caersws, four miles outside Newtown, Powys, when he was killed.

An inquest in Welshpool in October last year heard that the studs of his football boots got caught in the netting of the freestanding metal goalposts.

The rusty, heavy-duty posts fell down upon him as he struggled to free himself. An inquest jury went on to record a verdict of accidental death.

Caersws FC is being prosecuted in connection with the death of the schoolboy under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

Officials from the club appeared before Welshpool Magistrates' Court last week when the case was adjourned to Mold Crown Court.

A spokeswomen for the Crown Court confirmed that the case has been listed for a preliminary hearing on Friday.

Rachel Davies, an independent member of Powys County Council who represents Caersws, said she was "too stunned to digest this".

"I can only express my whole-hearted condolences to the whole family. This must be so very devastating.

"The family is highly respected in the community. I think there is very little that anyone can say on an occasion like this.

"What has happened is unbelievable. It happened less than 24 hours ago and people have not had time to digest it.

"I have not spoken with the family yet and I feel that we should respect their wishes and leave them to grieve in private."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?


From Belfast Telegraph