Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Caudwell attack suspect released

Police have confirmed that a man arrested in connection with a break-in at the home of former Phones4U chief John Caudwell has been released on bail pending further inquiries.

Staffordshire Police said the 48-year-old suspect, who was detained in Liverpool, was released on bail until a date in early January.

Officers from the Staffordshire and Merseyside police forces arrested the man on Wednesday afternoon on suspicion of aggravated burglary.

Mr Caudwell, one of Britain's richest businessmen, suffered head injuries when he was attacked with a crowbar at Broughton Hall, near Eccleshall, Staffordshire.

His partner, Claire Johnson, and a female staff member were also assaulted, although neither was physically injured.

In a statement earlier this week, Mr Caudwell, who sold the Caudwell Group for a reported £1.4 billion in 2006, condemned the men who burst into the mansion as brutal.

He said: "They took every item of jewellery that Claire and I possessed, plus some cash.

"Thankfully, nobody else was hurt physically."

In recent years, Mr Caudwell has become well-known for his work with Caudwell Children, a charity that provides specialist equipment, treatment and therapies for sick, autistic and disabled youngsters across the UK.

In his statement, Mr Caudwell added: "I would appeal to anybody who might have any knowledge or suspicions about the identity of these people to come forward to the police, so that they can be brought to justice as quickly as possible and limit any harm or damage that they may do to others."

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph