Celebs take phone hack legal action
Nearly 30 high-profile figures who suspect that their phone messages were intercepted by News of the World journalists are taking legal action - with more litigants "coming along week by week", a High Court judge has been told.
Celebrities claiming damages include politicians John Prescott and George Galloway, actor Jude Law, comedian Steve Coogan, ex-footballers Paul Gascoigne, Andy Gray and Lee Chapman and television presenter Ulrika Johnsson, a High Court hearing in London heard.
Police carrying out a criminal investigation are also regularly taking calls from people asking whether there is any evidence that their phones were hacked, Mr Justice Vos was told.
In 2007, private investigator Glenn Mulcaire and former News of the World royal editor Clive Goodman were given jail terms after the Old Bailey heard how they plotted to hack into Royal aides' telephone messages.
New police inquiries have started since then - and earlier this month actress Sienna Miller was given £100,000 damages as part of a settlement of a civil privacy and harassment claim against the News of the World.
Lawyers representing Mr Prescott, Law, Ms Johnsson, Mr Chapman, Gascoigne, Mr Galloway, Coogan and others, asked Mr Justice Vos to order the disclosure of the "Mulcaire archive" held by police carrying out criminal investigations.
Hugh Tomlinson QC and Jeremy Reed said material gathered by Mulcaire was seized by Metropolitan Police officers in 2006.
And they applied for all Mulcaire's seized notes and notebooks to be disclosed to them so that the level of damage suffered by clients could be fully assessed.
The court has already ruled that some information from Mulcaire's notes should be disclosed to litigants. Mr Tomlinson said that was not enough - and argued his clients needed the entire "Mulcaire archive".
Mr Justice Vos is expected to rule on the application on Monday - if lawyers representing claimants and the police cannot reach agreement.