Charlie Gard’s parents launch appeal after judge rules treatment should stop
They had wanted a specialist in America to provide therapy.
A couple whose baby son was at the centre of a High Court life-support treatment fight have launched an appeal.
Chris Gard and Connie Yates wanted to be allowed to take their son Charlie to America for a treatment trial but a High Court judge last month ruled against them.
The couple are now challenging Mr Justice Francis’s decision in the Court of Appeal.
Court officials said on Wednesday that an appeal had been lodged.
Mr Justice Francis decided that doctors could stop providing life-support treatment for Charlie Gard on April 11 after analysing the case in a hearing at the Family Division of the High Court in London.
Charlie’s parents, who are in their 30s and come from Bedfont, west London, had wanted a specialist in America to provide therapy.
Specialists at Great Ormond Street Hospital, where eight-month-old Charlie is being cared for, disagreed and said life-support treatment should stop.
Mr Justice Francis ruled in Great Ormond Street’s favour and concluded that Charlie, who suffers from a rare genetic condition and has brain damage, should move to a palliative care regime.
Great Ormond Street bosses said treatment would continue until the couple had decided whether they wanted to challenge the judge’s decision at the Court of Appeal.