Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Chief suspect in ‘kidnap’ of model claims he was not involved in any crime

Lukasz Pawel Herba says he was hired by a group of Romanians.

The chief suspect in the alleged kidnap of a British model in Milan has said he did not knowingly take part in any crime.

Lukasz Pawel Herba says his involvement stems from wanting to raise money to treat his leukaemia and that he was hired by a group of Romanians to rent properties around Europe to store garments they were selling, according to reports.

He is also said to have told investigators he posed as a photographer and met Chloe Ayling. He said he was paid £500,000, found out the Romanians intended to kidnap her, and backed out of the plan.

His side of the story has emerged as Ms Ayling’s representatives dismissed doubts about the ordeal, saying it was real and terrifying.

Italian police said she was snatched last month by a group calling itself Black Death.

She is believed to have been drugged and transported in a bag to an isolated village near Turin, where she was held for six days as her captors tried to auction her online.

bpanews_53141233-4cef-434c-b530-294dac19e29a_embedded794275
(PA graphic)

As more details emerged about the episode, including that she went shopping for shoes and groceries with her captor, her lawyer and an agent have spoken out to defend her.

Lawyer Francesco Pesce said it is “evil” to suggest she was involved while Phil Green, of Supermodel Agency, said what took place was “real and very frightening for all concerned”.

Speaking previously, Ms Ayling said she had feared for her life “second by second, minute by minute, hour by hour” during the incident and thanked the Italian and UK authorities “for all they have done to secure my safe release”.

bpanews_53141233-4cef-434c-b530-294dac19e29a_embedded794290
An Italian police photo of a man identified as identified as Lukasz Pawel Herba (Italian Police via AP)

Ms Ayling was informed she was going to be sold to somebody in the Middle East for sex and complied with her captor during the alleged kidnap because she was told she would be killed if she tried to flee, Mr Pesce said.

He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “So she thought that the best idea was to go along with it and to be nice in a way to her captor because he told her that he wanted to release her somehow and sometime and she thought that the best thing to do was not to go in conflict with him.”

The Sun reported she told police she had developed a trusting relationship and even shared a bed with her kidnapper, who gave her chocolate and underwear, but she said he had not sexually assaulted her.

bpanews_53141233-4cef-434c-b530-294dac19e29a_embedded794285
Photo released by police of the place where a man identified as Lukasz Pawel Herba, a Polish citizen with British residency, allegedly held a young British model (Italian police photo via AP)

Mr Green, of Supermodel Agency, said: “I can assure everybody that it was real and very frightening for all concerned.”

He also said, as reported by the Associated Press, that the person who made the booking for the photo shoot had “a website, previous pictures, details of his studio, details of what the shoot was going to be, times, locations, fee – everything”.

Mr Green said Ms Ayling was taken to the British Consulate in Milan after the alleged kidnap but was not allowed to return home for almost three weeks, arriving back in the UK on Sunday.

A Polish man who lives in Britain was arrested on July 18 on suspicion of kidnap and extortion, Italian state police said.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph