Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

City restaurant kitchen on fire

Around 30 firefighters are tackling a blaze at a city centre restaurant.

The crews responded to a call from a worker at TGI Friday's to report a fire in the kitchen at the Castle Street venue in Edinburgh.

The kitchen is in the basement of a two-storey annex attached to the back of a four-storey tenement block.

Part of the roof of the annex has collapsed as a result of the blaze.

Eight crews were called to the scene and sections of Castle Street and Rose Street have been cordoned off.

Neighbouring properties were evacuated after the alarm was raised.

A spokesman for Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said there do not appear to be any casualties.

Darrell Wade, chief operating officer at TGI Friday's, said: "We can confirm that a fire broke out within the property that we occupy on Castle Street in Edinburgh. We immediately evacuated our restaurant and all guests and team members safely left the building.

"We are now working closely with the Edinburgh fire service to help understand the cause of the fire. At this stage the exact cause and location of the breakout is inconclusive."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph