Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Corfu carbon monoxide deaths: 'I'll always blame Thomas Cook for my kids' deaths'

By Dave Higgens

Published 14/05/2015

Statement: Sharon Wood
Statement: Sharon Wood

The mother of two children who died of carbon monoxide poisoning while on holiday in Corfu has said: "I will always hold Thomas Cook responsible for their deaths."

Sharon Wood spoke out after an inquest jury concluded that the tour operator "breached their duty of care" over the deaths of Bobby and Christi Shepherd, aged six and seven.

Speaking at the end of a two-week inquest hearing in Wakefield, West Yorkshire, the family's barrister Leslie Thomas QC said Thomas Cook should "hang its head in shame".

Thomas Cook responded by saying everyone at the firm was "shocked and deeply saddened by the tragic loss" of the children but said its systems had been "thoroughly revised and address the criticisms made by the jury".

Bobby and Christi, from Horbury, near Wakefield, died at the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel in 2006 on the Greek holiday island when they were overcome by fumes from a faulty boiler.

The jurors at Wakefield Coroner's Court had already been told by West Yorkshire Coroner David Hinchliff that the only conclusion they could come to was unlawful killing.

Mrs Wood paid tribute to her "beautiful angels" as she made an emotional statement outside court. She said: "It will now fall to the coroner's recommendations to force Thomas Cook to act more responsibly in future.

"Thomas Cook put Christi and Bobby in that bungalow and I will always hold Thomas Cook responsible for their deaths."

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph