Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Corfu carbon monoxide deaths: Parents hit out at Thomas Cook

By Aine Fox

Published 18/05/2015

Christi and Bobby Shepherd died of carbon monoxide poisoning during a holiday on Corfu (West Yorkshire Police/PA Wire)
Christi and Bobby Shepherd died of carbon monoxide poisoning during a holiday on Corfu (West Yorkshire Police/PA Wire)

The parents of two children who were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning while on holiday in Corfu have hit out at travel firm Thomas Cook, who they accused of not apologising over the deaths following the inquest this week.

Neil Shepherd and Sharon Wood said it was "disgraceful" an apparent letter of apology from Thomas Cook chief executive Peter Fankhauser was only brought to their attention by journalists.

Bobby and Christi Shepherd, from Horbury, near Wakefield, died at the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel on the Greek holiday island in 2013 when they were overcome by fumes from a faulty boiler.

On Wednesday a jury at the inquest gave a conclusion of unlawful killing and said Thomas Cook had "breached their duty of care".

The foreman also read out a series of conclusions which included how Thomas Cook had been misled by the hotel about its gas supply, but also how the holiday giant's health and safety audit of the complex was inadequate.

It has emerged Thomas Cook received a compensation payout - reportedly £3.5m - after the deaths. The grieving family said they received around one tenth of that sum in compensation.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph