Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Coroner's warning after man sleeping in bin killed

By Rod Minchin

Published 01/08/2015

A coroner has warned of the dangers of sleeping in waste bins after a man died when he was turned away from a homeless shelter
A coroner has warned of the dangers of sleeping in waste bins after a man died when he was turned away from a homeless shelter

A coroner has warned of the dangers of sleeping in waste bins after a man died when he was turned away from a homeless shelter.

Matthew Symonds (34) was found dead at a recycling plant two days after the bin he was sleeping in was emptied into the back of a rubbish truck.

His body had lain undiscovered at a waste plant in Swindon under piles of newspaper, cardboard and plastic before being taken to the recycling centre at Avonmouth, near Bristol.

It was there that staff made the grim discovery as a newly arrived lorry-load of waste from Swindon was stamped together into parcels.

Speaking after a jury returned a conclusion of unnatural death, Ian Singleton, assistant coroner for Wiltshire and Swindon, said: "There is a limit to what anyone can do to prevent those who are determined from entering a bin to do so.

"I hope the publicity arising from this tragic case can help to publicise the risks that are created when people do enter bins," he added.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph