Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Cuadrilla starts test oil drilling

Energy company Cuadrilla has started exploratory oil drilling in the English countryside as anti-fracking protests at the site entered a ninth day.

The project has been subject to days of delays because of high-profile protests designed to halt delivery of trucks and equipment to the plant. A Cuadrilla spokesman said: "We started test drilling at 11.15am, and we will do a 3,000ft vertical well. We will be there for two to three months."

Campaigners fear the project at Lower Stumble, near Balcombe, West Sussex, could lead Cuadrilla to go on to conduct hydraulic fracturing, or fracking.

The controversial method of fracking involves high pressure liquid being pumped deep underground to split shale rock and release gas supplies. Opponents of fracking have highlighted concerns about potential water contamination and environmental damage, as well as small-scale earthquakes.

Police have had to mount a daily security operation around the test site's entrance as dozens of anti-fracking protesters have turned out to halt deliveries.

More than 30 people have been arrested since last Friday, mainly on suspicion of obstructing deliveries, including Natalie Hynde, 30, the daughter of the Kinks' Ray Davies and the Pretenders' Chrissie Hynde. Natalie Hynde's boyfriend, veteran eco campaigner Simon "Sitting Bull" Medhurst, 55, was also held after the pair superglued their hands together around the gate for around two hours.

This week Cuadrilla's chief executive, Francis Egan, reacted to concerns surrounding the drilling by saying his firm has "no intention of ruining the countryside and won't ruin the countryside".

Mr Egan insisted fracking was safe and would not pose a threat to the public or people's drinking water. He said "significant" amounts of oil and gas could be made available through fracking in the UK, but acknowledged his firm's activities had been delayed as a result of protests against its exploratory drilling activities in West Sussex.

The sensitivity of the subject was highlighted after former Government energy adviser Lord Howell issued an apology for suggesting fracking could be used in "desolate" north east England without any impact on the surrounding environment. Lord Howell went on to provoke further criticism when he tried to clarify his comments by suggesting he actually meant "unloved" areas of the country such as Lancashire.

Sussex Police said two people - a 19-year-old woman and a man - were arrested at the site today, both on suspicion of assaulting police.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph