Belfast Telegraph

Monday 5 October 2015

Damilola killer 'returned to jail'

Published 13/03/2011

Damilola Taylor was 10 years old when he died in Peckham in November 2000
Damilola Taylor was 10 years old when he died in Peckham in November 2000

One of the two brothers convicted over the killing of schoolboy Damilola Taylor has been returned to jail, sources confirmed.

Ricky Preddie, jailed for eight years in 2006 for the manslaughter of the 10-year-old, was sent back to jail after breaking the conditions of his release, it has been reported.

It is understood he was arrested on Friday evening and returned to a south London prison after being seen in Southwark, south London, and associating with gang members.

Harry Fletcher, assistant general secretary of the probation union Napo, said Preddie was ordered to live at a probation hostel on his release from prison last September after serving two-thirds of his sentence.

"Other conditions included being of good behaviour, a night-time curfew and a geographical exclusion zone," he said. "It is understood he allegedly breached the exclusion zone on Friday evening and as a consequence was recalled to custody under emergency procedures."

Richard Taylor, Damilola's father, was said to be "deeply upset and disturbed" by the news that Preddie has been returned to jail.

A Ministry of Justice spokesman said: "All offenders subject to probation supervision on release from prison have to adhere to a set of strict conditions. They are subject to recall to custody if they breach their conditions or their behaviour indicates that it is no longer safe for them or for the public if they remain in the community.

"Once an offender has been recalled by the probation service it is then for the police to return them to custody."

Damilola's death in November 2000 shocked the nation. He had moved to Britain from Nigeria a few months before he was jabbed in the thigh with a broken beer bottle by a gang of youths as he walked home from the local library after school.

Preddie, and his brother Danny, were convicted of manslaughter and jailed for eight years in October 2006.

From the web

Sponsored Videos

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph