Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Diver's body recovered near wreck

Published 20/06/2015

The body of diver Andy Moll who went missing off the south coast nearly a month ago has been recovered (British Sub Aqua Club/PA)
The body of diver Andy Moll who went missing off the south coast nearly a month ago has been recovered (British Sub Aqua Club/PA)

The body of a diver who went missing off the south coast nearly a month ago has been recovered, police said.

Andy Moll, 59, was part of a three-man team exploring a dive vessel six miles south of Swanage, Dorset on May 24.

He failed to resurface while diving with two others from the boat Emma J off Swanage and the emergency services were alerted.

The body of the father-of-four, from Taunton, Somerset was recovered near the site of the wreck on Friday night, Dorset Police said.

"The next of kin have been informed and the coroner has been notified," the force spokeswoman added.

Mr Moll, who was a member of the Bristol-based Severnside Sub-Aqua Club, was one of the country's most experienced divers, with more than 30 years' experience.

Last month, Leon Smith, chairman of Severnside SAC, paid tribute to Mr Moll.

"Andy has been a long-standing, active, and well-respected member of the diving community for over 30 years," he said.

"Everyone who knows Andy is truly devastated by recent events and our thoughts and concerns are with his family and all those involved."

Mr Moll also served nationally with the British Sub-Aqua Club (BSAC) and had been an instructor trainer.

Mary Tetley, chief executive of the BSAC, said: "Andy Moll was a very experienced diver and a good friend of mine for many years.

"He was full of passion and enthusiasm and the BSAC, and had a true love of scuba diving, and all that went with it.

"Andy was also a real family man and our thoughts and sincere condolences go out to them, in particular his wife Elaine and four daughters.

"Andy will be truly missed by his BSAC club where he had so many friends, and the wider BSAC family."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph