Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Double murder accused remanded

The man accused of the murders of a vicar and a retired teacher has appeared in court again.

Stephen Farrow, 47, made a brief videolink appearance at Bristol Crown Court from Long Lartin Prison in Worcestershire.

Farrow, of no fixed address, is accused of the murder of the Rev John Suddards between February 13 and 15 and the murder of Betty Yates between January 1 and 5. He also faces a charge of burglary relating to a separate property in Thornbury, South Gloucestershire between December 21 and January 3.

During the preliminary hearing he spoke only to confirm his name and that he could hear the proceedings.

Prosecutor Sian Sullivan asked Judge Neil Ford QC, The Recorder of Bristol, for the plea and case management hearing, which had been previously fixed for June 1, to be rescheduled for June 29.

Oliver Saxby, defending, said he was happy with the proposed timetable.

The court heard that Farrow's trial was likely to take place before a High Court judge.

Judge Ford remanded Farrow into custody and told him: "This is the end of the hearing. The next hearing in this case will be on June 29."

Farrow was arrested in Folkestone, Kent last month thanks to a tip-off from the public after Avon and Somerset Police launched a nationwide manhunt.

Mr Suddards, 59, was found stabbed to death at his home in Thornbury on February 14, while Mrs Yates, 77, was stabbed at her cottage in Bewdley, Worcestershire on January 2.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph