England to send team to Delhi Games
The chaos-hit Commonwealth Games has received a major boost as England announced it will be sending a full team to New Delhi.
Commonwealth Games England (CGE) said it had agreed "unanimously" with its 17 member sports in favour of dispatching the entire squad to India for the tournament, which is due to start on October 3.
Organisers had earlier soothed the concerns of participating nations by giving a number of assurances over the safety of stadiums and improvements to the athletes' village.
The move followed a series of mishaps at the site of the Games, including a footbridge collapsing at the main arena and a ceiling caving in at the weightlifting venue.
In addition, teams had hit out at accommodation for athletes described as "unfit for human habitation".
At least eight nations expressed reservations over the haphazard preparations for the Games.
Individual athletes, including reigning Commonwealth triple jump champion Phillips Idowu, have decided not to attend over safety fears.
Ongoing concerns over the structure of venues and accommodation conditions had risked the far more damaging prospect of entire teams pulling out of the event but progress on the ground appears to have pulled the Games back from the brink.
Team Wales said in a statement that it is "confident in the assurances that have been provided. The advance party will now be moving into our accommodation and we look forward to welcoming our athletes in the coming days."
Team Scotland's representative Jon Doig said: "We have continued to make progress addressing the maintenance and operational issues within our own accommodation block and things are looking much better." He added that the team should be in a position on Friday to confirm that athletes will travel to Delhi on Saturday.