Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Every day's a new agony, says family of missing Alice

London: Detectives investigating the disappearance of missing teenager Alice Gross have identified an “area of interest” in a park, Scotland Yard said last night.

Investigators yesterday staged a reconstruction of the moments the teenager was last seen, on a towpath in west London four weeks ago.

She was last captured on CCTV at 4.26pm on August 28, walking alongside the Grand Union Canal going under a bridge where Trumpers Way crosses the canal.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman confirmed that a section of a park near the towpath was being assessed as part of the inquiry.

He said: “As part of the ongoing search operation we have identified an area that is currently being assessed. It will be subject to further examination to determine if it is relevant to this investigation.

“The area of interest is in Elthorne Park.”

Earlier, the parents of the missing schoolgirl told how every day of their daughter's disappearance brings “new agony”.

As a massive police hunt for the 14-year-old continued, Rosalind Hodgkiss and Jose Gross made a desperate renewed appeal for help in finding her.

Teacher Ms Hodgkiss said: “This has obviously been a very distressing time for the whole family. Every morning, as Alice's disappearance grows longer and longer, brings new agony and new anguish.

“We're coping as best we can and we're trying to keep hopeful. We're making an appeal today to Alice, if she can hear us, that we want her to come home, that we miss her and love her.

“We're missing everything about her. We miss her smile, her presence, her quirkiness — every single thing about her we miss and we want her back home where she belongs.”

The couple spoke from the family home in Hanwell, west London.

Police are still seeking the prime suspect in her disappearance, the convicted murderer Arnis Zalkalns. Scotland Yard has come under fire for delays in identifying Zalkalns as a risk.

A spokesman for the force also admitted admitted yesterday that British detectives would have no power to arrest him if he had fled abroad. But Alice's parents insisted they had complete faith in the police investigation and said that they wanted the focus to remain solely on finding their beloved daughter.

Prison for ‘Canterbury Cannibal’

Kent: An NHS nurse dubbed “the Canterbury Cannibal” after he plotted to behead and eat a girl has been sentenced to nine years in jail.

Dale Bolinger (58), who was convicted of sexual grooming, bought an axe in Broadstairs, Kent, the day before he tried to meet the 14-year-old.

He had chatted with the teenager, a Mexican girl called Eva who was said to be living in Germany, on a website called the Dark Fetish Network.

In their conversations, Bolinger described sex acts he would perform on her and how he would murder her, which she said she wanted to happen.

After a four-day trial at Canterbury Crown Court in July, he was found guilty of attempting to meet a girl under 16 following sexual grooming.

Before the hearing, Bolinger admitted other charges, including administering a poison or noxious substance after he put a cloth soaked in dry cleaning fluid over his friend Urlene King's mouth in July 2010.

He also admitted making indecent pseudo-photographs of children and seven counts of publishing an obscene article.

As he was jailed for the 11 offences, a judge said his behaviour was “abhorrent, shocking and dangerous”.

Father jailed for murdering baby

Peterborough: A “callous and brutal” father who murdered his baby daughter by repeatedly biting, punching and shaking her has been jailed for life with a minimum of 22 years.

Lithuanian Aurimas Medvedevas (23) inflicted terrible injuries on two-month-old Aukse on September 5 last year, the day her mother went back to work for the first time since giving birth.

His partner, agency worker Dzesika Urbikaite (22), returned to their Peterborough home that night to find her daughter dead in a cot. Medvedevas, from Peterborough, denied murder but on the third day of his Old Bailey trial he changed his plea to guilty in light of the overwhelming evidence against him.

Jailing him yesterday, judge Timothy Pontius said the brutality of the attack on a defenceless baby almost defied belief and the bite marks on her head were “particularly shocking”.

He said the fact that baby Aukse suffered considerably for hours before her eventual death “demonstrated a callousness that is as incredible as it is inhuman”.

Police sorry for leaving killed teen’s body in street for hours

Missouri: Police have apologised to the family of Michael Brown for leaving his body in the street too long after an officer shot him dead.

Police issued the video apology the same day the 18-year-old’s parents attended a meeting with civil rights leaders in Washington.

A spokesman said it was also intended for protesters who felt their rights had been violated.

Mr Brown was killed on August 9 during a confrontation with officer Darren Wilson.

His body was left in the street for more than four hours after he was gunned down.

The killing sparked racial unrest in the area and numerous protests, including some that turned violent.

Ebola virus is winning, Obama warns leaders

New York: The world has not done enough to stem the outbreak of Ebola in Africa, Barack Obama told the UN yesterday.

The US President said the virus had created a health crisis that posed a growing threat to regional and global security.

“There is still a significant gap between where we are and where we need to be,” he added.

Almost 50% of the 6,200 people infected by Ebola in west Africa have died in the biggest outbreak of its kind.

Qatari team quits Asian Games after hijab ban

South Korea: The Qatari women's basketball team has quit the Asian Games after bosses refused to let them wear hijabs in matches.

Qatar were due to play Nepal, but the team did not show up at the venue.

Khalid al-Jabir, the Qatar delegation chief, said his side was preparing to return home.

The dispute over the players' refusal to remove their headscarves — regarded by some as a rule that discriminates against Muslim women — has created a major stir at the games.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph