Ex-detective admits faking records
Published 12/09/2012 | 12:12
A former detective constable who specialised in rape and sexual assault cases has admitted faking police records and failing to investigate complaints properly.
Ryan Coleman-Farrow, 30, pleaded guilty to 13 counts of misconduct in a public office at Southwark Crown Court.
The charges relate to rape and sexual assault investigations between January 2007 and September 2010 while he was a Metropolitan Police officer.
He admitted entering on the police computer that the Crown Prosecution Service had advised that charges should be dropped in rape cases, when no such instruction had been given.
Coleman-Farrow also failed to get witness statements, falsified witness statements and did not send exhibits for analysis.
In one rape case he falsely claimed the alleged victim had dropped support for proceeding with charges, and in another that forensic tests on exhibits were negative, when they had not been carried out.
Prosecutor Mark Heywood QC told the court that in "almost all" of the 13 cases involved, no proceedings had resulted. The investigations included 12 complainants and 11 suspects, he said.
Dressed in a grey suit and white shirt with pink tie, Coleman-Farrow, from St Leonards-on-Sea, Hastings, East Sussex, entered guilty pleas to each charge.
Judge Alistair McCreath told Coleman-Farrow: "It's not possible for me to pass sentence on you today in a way that's fair to you and to the public and I will therefore adjourn the case until October 11."
Coleman-Farrow was bailed until that date, but told it was "no indication" of what his sentence would be.