Ex-Yard officer held in leaks probe
A former Scotland Yard detective who complained of being spied on by the News of the World during a major murder inquiry has been arrested over illegal leaks to a journalist.
The 52-year-old - named by sources as Detective Chief Superintendent Dave Cook - was questioned on suspicion of misconduct in public office after being detained at his Berkshire home.
Officers from the Independent Police Complaints Commission quizzed him on the basis of evidence from the Scotland Yard team investigating corruption surrounding the phone-hacking investigation.
Mr Cook's name was previously linked to the scandal when relatives of murdered private investigator Daniel Morgan said the Sunday tabloid had followed the officer during his inquiries into the death. Mr Cook claimed he was watched from a surveillance van outside his home and followed driving his children to school, according to Mr Morgan's brother Alastair.
The surveillance was said to have taken place months after missing schoolgirl Milly Dowler's mobile phone was hacked in 2002.
The former officer was bailed until March after a day of questioning by IPCC investigators at a Thames Valley police station.
A spokeswoman for the watchdog said: "A 52-year-old man, a former Metropolitan Police Service officer, was arrested by the IPCC at his home in Berkshire this morning on suspicion of misconduct in public office and Data Protection Act offences. The arrest is the result of information passed to the IPCC by the Metropolitan Police Service team investigating Operation Elveden and relates to the alleged passing of unauthorised information to a journalist."
Nine suspects have now been arrested as part of Operation Elveden, which was launched after officers were handed documents suggesting News International journalists had made payments to officers.
Sir Paul Stephenson, the then Met commissioner, said in July that evidence from the publisher suggested a small number of officers were involved.
Last month, a 52-year-old woman, understood to be a member of the force's specialist operations branch, was arrested on suspicion of receiving illegal payments. Others questioned as part of the inquiry include former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks, ex-Downing Street communications chief Andy Coulson, former News of the World managing editor Stuart Kuttner, the paper's former royal editor Clive Goodman, and a 63-year-old man whose identity has not been disclosed.