Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Family pooch in doghouse after kitchen catches fire

By Sally Wardle

Published 12/08/2016

Beau, a Staffordshire bull terrier, is believed to have jumped up, knocked a dial and inadvertently turned on the electric hob in a second-floor flat in Dartford, on Wednesday, Kent Fire and Rescue service said
Beau, a Staffordshire bull terrier, is believed to have jumped up, knocked a dial and inadvertently turned on the electric hob in a second-floor flat in Dartford, on Wednesday, Kent Fire and Rescue service said

A pet dog is in disgrace after it allegedly started a kitchen fire.

Beau, a Staffordshire bull terrier, is believed to have jumped up, knocked a dial and inadvertently turned on the electric hob in a second-floor flat in Dartford, on Wednesday, Kent Fire and Rescue service said.

The Fire Service was alerted to the blaze at 5.15pm but it was extinguished by an off-duty London firefighter, who lived nearby, before two fire engines arrived.

A young woman was given oxygen and taken to hospital, while Beau was also given oxygen through a specially-designed pet mask.

John Allwright, Dartford watch manager, said: "We always advise against storing items on top of cookers as accidents can happen, but if you have no alternative please switch appliances off at the wall. If you have pets, try to keep them away from naked flames or cooker controls."

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph