Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Fans remain concerned after Leyton Orient fend off winding-up bids

A specialist judge was told that money owed to a number of creditors had been paid.

Bosses at struggling football club Leyton Orient have fended off winding-up bids, but fans remain worried.

A specialist judge was told on Monday that money owed to a number of creditors had been paid.

Registrar Sally Barber dismissed bids to have Orient, who were relegated from the Football League at the end of the 2016-17 season after finishing bottom of League Two, wound up after analysing the case at a Bankruptcy & Companies Court hearing in London.

But supporters fear that more trouble could be around the corner.

“We know that there are a number of creditors and individuals who are still owed money,” said Mat Roper, a board member at the Leyton Orient Fans’ Trust.

“But we know that there are a number of creditors and individuals who are still owed money. We could well be back again in a few weeks.”

He added: “It’s a long, hard road being an Orient fan.”

Mr Roper said many fans wanted owner Francesco Becchetti to sell the club.

“He came in 2014 and overspent,” said Mr Roper.

“Since then it has been a catalogue of problems – 11 managers … and two relegations.”

Press Association

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph