Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Flood victims braced for more of same as the storms blow in yet again to batter Britain

By Ella Pickover

Flood victims are bracing themselves for yet more misery as a "multi-pronged attack" of heavy rain, wind and snow is set to batter Britain.

Forecasters warn that the appalling conditions which have ravaged communities show no signs of abating.

Downpours of up to 40mm (1.6 inches) could fall in just six hours today, with gusts of up to 70mph, a Met Office spokesman said.

Around 56,000 households remained without power last night after gusts of up to 108mph battered parts of the country in the 'Wild Wednesday' storms, which left one man dead and hundreds stranded as transport networks were hit.

The Environment Agency still has 16 severe flood warnings in place in the Thames Valley and Somerset, as well as 128 flood warnings across England and Wales.

Meanwhile, the Government's own independent advisers have said that extra funds being ploughed into the flood relief effort would not address the country's long-term flood risk.

Last week the Government pledged an extra £130m to help with the flooding. Ministers said £344m overall will be spent on initiatives to improve flood defences this year.

But the Committee on Climate Change said only a proportion of these households will actually see their flood risk reduce. A blog post on the committee's website states: "Many capital schemes are replacing or refurbishing existing defences like-with-like.

"As it is, only 4% of households at flood risk in England are seeing their defences refurbished or improved."

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph