Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Fourth miner found dead in pit

Published 16/09/2011

All four miners who were trapped in a flooded pit in south Wales have been found dead
All four miners who were trapped in a flooded pit in south Wales have been found dead
Rescue workers had worked for hours at the Gleision Colliery in the Swansea Valley to try and save the miners
People embrace after hearing that a body of one of the miners trapped in the colliery had been found

The body of the last of four miners trapped in a flooded mine near Swansea has been found.

Phillip Hill, Charles Breslin, David Powell and Garry Jenkins went missing when Gleision Colliery near Swansea became flooded on Thursday.

Peter Vaughan, Chief Constable of South Wales Police, said: "We've tried to bring this safely to its conclusion. Unfortunately the conclusion we have is the one none of us wanted."

Richard Smith, chief fire officer for Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the four men were found in close proximity to each other.

"One was on the exit side of the blockage as we know and the three that have been recovered this afternoon were all found together in the area where they had been working and they have since been recovered from the mine," he said.

Prime Minister David Cameron described the tragedy as a "desperately, desperately sad situation", and said the anguish of the miners' families would be "intense".

He added: "It is clear the emergency services have done everything they can and worked incredibly hard. They haven't lacked for anything but it is obviously a desperately, desperately sad situation for everyone concerned."

Neath MP Peter Hain said the deaths of the four miners was a "stab through the heart" of the local community, and he paid tribute to the "superhuman efforts" of the rescue workers.

"This is the end we all feared but hoped against hope wouldn't happen," he said.

The alarm was raised at around 9.20am on Thursday after Mr Hill, 45, Mr Breslin, 62, Mr Powell, 50, and Mr Jenkins, 39, became trapped when the mine flooded. Three miners managed to escape, including the son of one of those who died, and one of those three remains critically ill in hospital.

Press Association

Read More


From Belfast Telegraph