Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Fresh arrests as Manchester police bid to smash Salman Abedi's network

By Staff Reporter

Fresh arrests have been made connected to the Manchester suicide attack, as police continue to hunt down Salman Abedi's suspected accomplices.

Greater Manchester Police said a 19-year-old man had become the latest suspect to be detained over last Monday's atrocity, which left 22 dead.

The teenager was arrested during an armed swoop on an address in the Gorton area of the city. A 25-year-old man was earlier held on suspicion of terror offences in the Old Trafford district.

Read More:  Manchester bomber's last movements captures on CCTV

A week of intense police operations showed no sign of abating as counter-terror officers stormed addresses in Gorton, Rusholme and Moss Side.

The total number of suspects in custody now stands at 13.

Three people were arrested - and quickly de-arrested - during yesterday afternoon's operation at Quantock Street, Moss Side, leading them to post an outraged sign on their front door.

It came hours after the Home Secretary said members of bomber Abedi's terror network could still be at large, despite optimism that further threats had been quashed.

The latest flurry of police activity came as the NHS said 54 people injured in the attack were still being treated in eight hospitals, with 19 receiving critical care. Seven children were among the dead in what was the most costly terror attack to hit Britain since the 7/7 bombings in 2005.

The police response that followed saw raids in several cities, as counter-terror efforts were focused on smashing Abedi's criminal ring. Amber Rudd also revealed that temporary exclusion orders, banning suspected jihadis from returning to the UK, had been used for the first time. Ms Rudd told BBC One's Andrew Marr Show: "The operation is still at full tilt, in a way. Until the operation is complete, we can't be entirely sure that it is closed."

Meanwhile, thousands took to the streets for the Great Manchester Run yesterday as the latest large-scale event took place in the city in the wake of the terror attack.

Armed police mingled with spectators as crowds gathered to watch the runners, including mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham. He said going ahead with the event, which included a half marathon and the 10k he was running in, was a difficult decision. He said it had to happen in order not to hand a victory to terrorists.

Participants including comedian John Bishop and former England captain Bryan Robson stood on the 10k start line under the banner #RunForManchester, many wearing yellow ribbons in solidarity with the victims of the Manchester Arena attack and their families.

Outrage at Angie’s bombing tribute jibe

Angie Best, (64) former wife of Northern Ireland soccer legend George Best and mum of celebrity bad boy Calum Best, has been slammed for rubbishing a schoolgirl’s tribute to victims of the Manchester suicide bombing.

The former Playboy Bunny took to Twitter to complain after a schoolgirl tweeted a pic of her classmates releasing balloons in memory of the victims.

But Best sparked fury when she tweeted: “Really, you couldn’t think of something more environmentally friendly?”

The former Celebrity Big Brother contestant has since deleted her controversial tweet.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph