Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Fresh legal bid to clear name of Lockerbie plane bomber

Relatives of the only man convicted of the Lockerbie bombing have embarked on a legal bid to clear his name amid claims that his case is the "worst miscarriage of justice in British legal history".

Six immediate members of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi's family have joined forces with 24 British relatives of those who died in the atrocity to seek a third appeal against his conviction in the Scottish courts.

They have submitted an application to the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission for a review.

Megrahi, who died in 2012, was found guilty of the 1988 bombing of Pan Am flight 103 over Scotland in which 270 people were killed.

TV's Cook defends Harris claim

Former Crimewatch presenter Sue Cook has told a court that Rolf Harris should not be accused of lying after forgetting a game show appearance in the 1970s because she cannot recall being in the programme either.

The broadcaster (65), who appeared in the Star Games series two or three times, said celebrities were "bussed in" to a recreation area, and the city or town was "immaterial".

She took to Twitter on Monday after seeing TV coverage of Harris's indecent assault trial.

Harris had told the jury at London's Southwark Crown Court that he had never been to Cambridge until four years ago, but it later emerged that he had appeared in a Star Games show in the city in 1978.

Ms Cook said: "I don't think he can be accused of lying because I can't remember it. I was a participant in that game show but I wouldn't have known it was Cambridge either."

In cross-examination by Sasha Wass QC, she admitted that she would not "swear blind" under oath that she had not been somewhere for work.

Harris is standing trial for 12 counts of indecent assault on four women between 1968 and 1986.

He denies all charges.

The trial continues.

Woman denies murdering parents

An elderly couple were shot dead and buried in their garden by their daughter and son-in-law who raked in £245,000 by pretending they were still alive for 15 years, a jury has heard.

Debt-ridden Susan and Christopher Edwards sold the home of Patricia and William Wycherley and collected benefits and pension payments as the pair's bodies lay undiscovered from 1998 to 2013, Nottingham Crown Court was told.

A jury was told neighbours and relatives of Mr and Mrs Wycherley, aged 85 and 63, were told that they had gone travelling or had moved to the coast.

Prosecutor Peter Joyce QC said the Edwards', who married in 1983, had been in "severe financial difficulties" for much of their relationship and remained £160,000 in debt when they were arrested last October.

Mr Joyce alleged the "reclusive" victims were murdered in May 1998 at their home in Forest Town, Mansfield.

Mrs Edwards (56) admits her mother's manslaughter but, along with her husband (57), denies two counts of murder.

A miracle escape after jet smashes into home

A jet has crashed into a residential area in a southern California desert community, a US Marine Corps spokesman has said.

Despite the jet smashing into at least one house and setting at least two on fire in a row of tightly spaced homes in Imperial, First Lieutenant Jose Negrete said no one on the ground was hurt. The pilot ejected safely and was taken to hospital only for evaluation. The roof of the house that took the brunt of the crash was gone but the walls were still standing.

Boko Haram massacred hundreds, say residents

Boko Haram militants dressed as soldiers have killed at least 200 civilians in north-eastern Nigeria – and the military failed to intervene even though it was warned an attack was imminent, witnesses said.

A community leader who witnessed the killings on Monday said residents of the Gwoza district in Borno state had pleaded for the military to send soldiers to protect the area after they heard that militants were about to attack, but help did not arrive.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph