Gazza misses hearing to go to rehab
Published 11/11/2010 | 04:22
Former England international footballer Paul Gascoigne has missed his sentencing for a drink-driving charge because he has checked himself into rehab.
The 43-year-old was due before Newcastle Magistrates' Court after he admitted driving while four times the limit last month.
However, the hearing was adjourned after the former Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder checked himself into a clinic on the south coast.
Gascoigne was caught driving an MG car erratically by police in Jesmond, Newcastle, on October 8 at 2.45pm. District Judge Stephen Earl adjourned the case until December 9.
Gascoigne was "unfit" to be interviewed by probation officers when he attended a meeting last Thursday, accompanied by his agent, Judge Earl said.
Stephen Andrews, defending, said: "The situation is that I received information through the course of the last 48 hours advising me that Mr Gascoigne has been readmitted into a rehabilitative institution in the south of the country. This information came to me via a representative of his management company."
Mr Andrews said he was supposed to see his client on Tuesday but that did not happen. The solicitor said his instructions came from Gascoigne's management, not the ex-star.
"The last time I had contact with him was last Wednesday before Northallerton magistrates," he said.
Mr Andrews represented Gascoigne last week when he was in court for a separate drink-drive charge, which he denies, and that case was adjourned until next month.
District Judge Earl adjourned sentencing in this case for four weeks, so a report can be prepared by the Probation Service.