Goodwin 'affair' injunction upheld
Published 09/06/2011 | 10:42
A High Court judge has refused to lift an order banning journalists naming a woman with whom former bank boss Sir Fred Goodwin had an "extra-marital affair".
Lawyers from News Group Newspapers - publishers of The Sun and News of the World - asked Mr Justice Tugendhat earlier this month to lift the privacy injunction imposed earlier this year.
Their application was opposed by lawyers representing the woman - a former work colleague of Sir Fred's.
Mr Justice Tugendhat said the application by News Group "succeeds in part and fails in part".
"The injunction will be varied to permit disclosure by NGN of the job description of VBN (the woman), but not disclosure of her name."
The terms of the order giving effect to the variation have yet to be agreed.
The judge added: "Until the order has been formulated, it would not be safe to attempt to interpret that."
Hugh Tomlinson QC, for VBN, said he intends to pursue an appeal over disclosure of the job description and was granted a stay, holding the current position, until June 23 pending an application for permission to the Court of Appeal.