Belfast Telegraph

Friday 9 October 2015

Grand National hero Ryan Mania hopes to leave hospital today

By Dave Higgens

Published 08/04/2013

Ryan Mania celebrates on Auroras Encore after winning the John Smith's Grand National Chase
Ryan Mania celebrates on Auroras Encore after winning the John Smith's Grand National Chase
Ryan Mania celebrates on Auroras Encore after winning the John Smith's Grand National Chase
Ryan Mania crosses the finish line on Auroras Encore - winning the John Smith's Grand National Chase

Grand National-winning rider Ryan Mania hopes to leave hospital today, after he has a precautionary MRI scan following his crashing fall at Hexham.

Mania, 23, was taken by air ambulance to hospital in Newcastle when he fell on his return to action after winning the National on the Sue Smith-trained Auroras Encore at Aintree on Saturday.

The Scotsman was linking up once again with Bingley-based Smith in the St John Lee Handicap Hurdle.

However, his mount Stagecoach Jasper came down early on the final circuit.

Some 25 minutes after the race Mania was still being treated on the track by doctors. There was a delay to racing following the arrival of the air ambulance.

Mania was conscious following the fall and was put into the air ambulance on a spinal board before being taken to Newcastle Royal Victoria Infirmary for further assessment.

He tweeted last night: "Thanks so much for all the messages. I'm grand. Staying in hospital to get another scan tomorrow then should be home. £highsandlows."

His agent, Bruce Jeffrey, promised to update his twitter followers today with news.

"Ryan and his family appreciate all the kind wishes and would like to thank you all very much", he said.

Paul Struthers, chief executive of the Professional Jockeys Association, tweeted: "@Mania450 is in hospital with friends and family. He's awaiting scan results. Fingers crossed not as bad as first feared. He thanks everyone for their well wishes. Further updates when we have them. £getwellsoon."

Mania received what appeared to be a kick between his shoulder blades and was described as very sore before going for further assessment on neck and back injuries.

Clerk of the course James Armstrong confirmed Mania had been conscious and talking after the fall.

The Great North Air Ambulance said its aircraft based at Penrith, in Cumbria, attended and took the jockey to hospital in Newcastle with a flight time of just eight minutes.

A spokesman said the casualty had back and neck injuries which were assessed as "severe/serious" but he said his condition on arrival at hospital was described as stable.

From the web

Sponsored Videos

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph