Grossman sauce in botulism warning
The Food Standards Agency has advised the public not to consume jars of a Loyd Grossman sauce which may pose a risk of botulism poisoning.
The agency said a batch of the brand's Korma sauce had been made the subject of a full recall and was being removed from shop shelves.
In a statement confirming that two members of the same family had been hospitalised in Scotland, the FSA said only one jar from the batch was known to have been contaminated with the bacteria which causes botulism.
The recalled 350g jars have a best before date of February 2013 and bear the batch code 1218R 07:21.
In its statement advising people not to consume jars of the sauce, the FSA said: "This is because of the risk of botulism poisoning.
"Only one jar from the batch is known to have been contaminated with the bacteria Clostridium botulinum, which causes botulism, but the agency is advising people not to eat products from this batch as a precautionary measure. Two members of the same family who have contracted botulism and have eaten from a jar of this batch of sauce have been hospitalised in Scotland."
In a separate statement, the Health Protection Agency (HPA) said preliminary tests had identified the toxin that causes botulism from the used jar.
The HPA has also notified health professionals across the UK of the situation and has advised them to look out for people of all ages with possible symptoms.
An antitoxin which is very effective in treating botulism has been given to both patients, who are understood to be children.
The HPA said it was now working with the Scottish authorities and the Food Standards Agency on the investigation.