Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Hillsborough accused trio seek legal aid

By Eleanor Barlow

Three retired police officers charged over the Hillsborough disaster have applied for public funding for legal fees, the South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner's office said.

David Duckenfield, match commander at the FA Cup semi-final on April 15, 1989; former chief superintendent Donald Denton, and retired detective chief inspector Alan Foster have all applied to their former force.

A spokesman for police and crime commissioner Dr Alan Billings said the applications had been received, but no decision had yet been made.

The Crown Prosecution Service announced last month that Duckenfield, a former chief superintendent, would be charged with the manslaughter by gross negligence of 95 of the 96 victims of the 1989 disaster.

Denton and Foster, along with former force solicitor Peter Metcalf, are charged with acts intending to pervert the course of justice related to the amending of police officers' statements.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph