Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Homicide charges against diver lifted

By Tom Pugh

Published 19/01/2016

A British scuba diver has had charges of involuntary homicide against him dropped following the deaths of his girlfriend and a friend during a dive in Malta
A British scuba diver has had charges of involuntary homicide against him dropped following the deaths of his girlfriend and a friend during a dive in Malta

A British scuba diver has had charges of involuntary homicide against him dropped following the deaths of his girlfriend and a friend during a dive in Malta.

Stephen Martin (56), from West Sussex, was due to appeal at the High Court in London on Wednesday against a request to extradite him to the Mediterranean isle.

Lawyers for the father-of-three were told that all charges have now been dropped following a visit to the island's Attorney General by officials from the British Sub Aqua Club (BSAC) last week.

Mr Martin, an advanced diver and open water instructor with BSAC, told how his "utter nightmare" was now over while his supporters said the decision was a victory for "common sense".

IT manager Mr Martin was charged last July with two counts of involuntary homicide, and could have faced up to 10 years in prison if he had been convicted.

His prosecution followed the deaths in Gozo in June 2014 of his partner Larissa Hooley (48) and Nigel Haines (59).

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph