Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Hospital patient's skin set alight

A patient undergoing surgery was set on fire when the solution used to clean their skin ignited, an NHS Trust has confirmed.

The incident happened at Scarborough Hospital in North Yorkshire on Wednesday afternoon, officials said.

The patient was treated for the injuries and transferred to Castle Hill Hospital in East Yorkshire "as a precaution". They were returned to Scarborough Hospital and then discharged.

Liz Booth, director of operations at Scarborough and North East Yorkshire NHS Trust, said they were "extremely sorry".

She said: "I can confirm that during a surgical procedure a solution used to clean the skin ignited, causing skin burns to the patient.

"The skin burn was treated immediately and the patient was kept in hospital overnight. As a precaution, the patient was transferred to Castle Hill for further assessment and on return was discharged.

"We are extremely sorry for any pain and distress caused to the patient. A full investigation commenced within minutes of the incident occurring and a final report will be produced and shared with the family."

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph