Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Huhne 'confident' on speeding probe

Energy Secretary Chris Huhne said he is "very confident" the investigation into allegations that he dodged a speeding penalty will be "cleared up".

Prosecutors are very close to reaching a decision on whether to charge the Cabinet minister but are currently trying to obtain evidence from the Sunday Times newspaper.

Police began investigating more than five months ago after claims emerged that Mr Huhne's ex-wife, Vicky Pryce, accepted penalty points on his behalf.

The speeding offence is alleged to have taken place in 2003 when the then-MEP was driving home from Stansted Airport after flying back from the European Parliament.

Liberal Democrat Mr Huhne - who left Ms Pryce for another woman last year - has denied the allegations.

He told Dermot Murnaghan on Sky News that he was "very confident" the accusations would be "resolved".

He said: "I would love to see this cleared up as soon as possible. I want to see the Crown Prosecution Service obviously get to the bottom of this.

"They need to do whatever they have to do in terms of pursuing (the case). I gather they currently have a dispute with the Sunday Times at the moment. As long as they get to the bottom of this, that is all I want, because I am confident that will clear things up."

Asked whether he would resign if charged, Mr Huhne added: "That's a hypothetical issue.

"They key point that I am expecting from this report is that they get to the bottom of this and the matter is resolved."

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph