Inquest to probe death of boy, 7
An inquest will take place today into the death of a seven-year-old boy who died from a cardiac arrest days after undergoing heart surgery.
Luke Jenkins, who was born with a congenital heart defect, was expected to make a full recovery after having successful corrective surgery at Bristol Children's Hospital in April last year.
A report into the little boy's death partly blamed bank holiday staff shortages for his death.
His heart stopped for 43 minutes before he was resuscitated, after which he underwent exploratory surgery. He died the following day.
The report revealed his death was due in part to the duty surgeon having to be urgently called in from home on Good Friday when Luke collapsed, something admitted by hospital bosses.
Junior nursing staff lost vital time because they did not know where resuscitation equipment was kept.
The emergency team was also unfamiliar with the equipment because cardiac arrest was rare in the ward environment.
Luke's grieving parents have previously spoken of their anger and disgust at what they claim is the lack of care before and on the day of their son's death.
Stephen Jenkins, 31, and wife Faye, 28, of St Mellons, Cardiff, south Wales, were stunned by the contents of a report into the tragedy.
Put together by an investigative team at University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust, it is called a root cause analysis.
Speaking last year, Mr Jenkins said that the family intended to fight on until the full truth was revealed.
"There have been eight other incidents since January 2012. They cannot tell us who the people were but that should be made public," he said.
"We have written saying that we are not happy with the report because some of what is in it is not true."
The inquest will take place at Avon Coroner's Court at Flax Bourton, near Bristol.