Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Internet dating 'sexual predator' to be sentenced

Published 03/03/2016

Jason Lawrence is set to be sentenced
Jason Lawrence is set to be sentenced

A "sexual predator" convicted of raping five women he met on internet dating website match.com is due to be sentenced.

Jason Lawrance, a father of three, contacted thousands of women online and committed three sex attacks months after getting married to someone he met via the site.

The 50-year-old, of Liphook, Hampshire, was also found guilty of attempting to rape and sexually assault two other women after chatting to them online.

Lawrance, a former company director turned self-employed builder, texted one of his victims after attacking her apologising for "hurting her" and saying: "When you were crying out for me to stop I couldn't, I'm so mad at myself xxx."

The jury of six women and six men heard that Lawrance raped another woman in the back of a van which he had parked in a field in Northamptonshire, while a third was attacked at her home while her son was asleep in a nearby bedroom.

He was arrested after a friend of a woman who was raped in Derbyshire in November 2014 went to police.

Investigations from Derbyshire Police revealed he had sexually attacked another six women he met through the site since June 2011.

Detective Chief Inspector Allison Rigby from the force said the trial had been "devastating" for the victims.

Speaking after the verdict on Wednesday, she said: "Jason Lawrance is a prolific, serial rapist who preyed on women he had contacted through match.com.

"These women were looking for companionship and instead what they found was a man who was willing to commit serious sexual offences against them."

Lawrance had denied all the charges, but a jury at Derby Crown Court took 10 hours to convict him after a two week trial.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph