IOC backs social media Games push
Games' chiefs have insisted they have no regrets over dubbing London 2012 the "social media Olympics" despite two athletes being expelled over remarks made on Twitter.
Some 15 million social media fans are following the Olympics and their involvement is positively encouraged, said the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
It comes after Switzerland footballer Michel Morganella became the second competitor to be expelled from the Games for directing an allegedly racist insult at South Koreans on Twitter. Triple jumper Voula Papachristou was not even allowed to travel to the Olympics after posting a message which mocked African immigrants.
Police are also investigating after British diver Tom Daley was sent a series of malicious messages that led to an arrest.
Mark Adams, the IOC's communications director, denied he regretted dubbing London 2012 the "social media Olympics". He said: "The IOC, the Olympics, we have about 15 million social media fans; we are encouraging people to take part in social media; I know that Locog are doing similar things.
"To be frank, it would be a little bit like King Canute if we said, 'No, these aren't the social media games', because everyone has decided they are anyway. We will help people have a good time and social media is a new way of doing that, so fine."
Meanwhile, Guy Adams, the Independent's Los Angeles correspondent, found his Twitter account suspended on the day he wrote a news story on the complaints over the US network NBC's coverage of the Games.
Mr Adams tweeted the work email address of Gary Zenkel, the president of NBC Olympics, after the broadcaster prevented viewers in America from watching live coverage of Friday's opening ceremony so it could be held back for a prime-time evening slot.
Twitter told him the tweet breached its guidelines by posting "an individual's private information such as private email address, physical address, telephone number, or financial documents".
On Tuesday night Guy Adams wrote that his Twitter account had been reactivated and he had received a four-sentence email from Twitter's "Trust and Safety" department telling him the initial complaint had been "retracted". He wrote: "I had been trying, for 24 hours now, to speak with an employee about their decision to suspend my account".