Lawrence police hail plea response
An anniversary appeal for information on the murder of Stephen Lawrence has prompted two "very significant" phone calls, police have said.
The appeal was broadcast on the BBC's Crimewatch programme on Monday night, a week after the 20th anniversary of the racist attack in Eltham, south-east London.
Officers are now following up a number of phone calls received after the programme.
Detective Chief Inspector Clive Driscoll said they had many calls, but two in particular were "very significant".
"One could produce a potential eyewitness to the attack, and one gives very good background information about suspects already known," he said. "In addition to that we have also had three phone calls about the green jumper or jacket and we will certainly be making inquiries around those bits of information to verify them."
Stephen, an 18-year-old aspiring architect, was stabbed to death by a group of up to six white youths in an unprovoked racist attack as he waited at a bus stop in Well Hall Road with a friend on the evening of April 22 1993.
In January 2012 Gary Dobson and David Norris were found guilty of being involved in the attack and sentenced to life imprisonment, after a forensic review of the case found significant new scientific evidence on clothing seized from their homes following the murder.
But police have said that, despite securing two convictions, the investigation remains open and officers believe there were people in the area of the murder who have never come forward.
These include two men who got off a bus at the stop opposite where Mr Lawrence was attacked and walked southbound along the east side of Well Hall Road; a man who ran from the area of Well Hall Road roundabout to the bus stop on the same side of Well Hall Road as the attack; a man who was walking on the east side of Well Hall south of the roundabout, opposite the Coronet cinema, wearing a distinctive green jacket with a large 'V'; and anyone else in the general vicinity, such as those outside the cinema and on passing buses.
Mr Driscoll said previously: "Although two individuals are serving a life sentence in connection with this murder, we have always known there were other people involved in the attack. As such this investigation remains open and my team is committed to pursuing all viable lines of inquiry available to us. It is hoped this appeal will assist with our inquiries."