Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

London Bridge attack: Victims from diverse backgrounds

A Londoner, a Canadian woman and a French national were among those who were killed in Saturday night's attack in the capital.

Seven people died and 48 others were injured when three knifemen ploughed into pedestrians on London Bridge and stabbed people in Borough Market.

These are the victims who have been confirmed as dead:

  • James McMullan, 32, from Hackney, was last seen outside the Barrowboy And Banker pub and his sister said police have told her his bank card was found on a body at the scene of the attack.

Melissa McMullan told Sky News "While our pain will never diminish, it is important for us all to carry on with our lives in direct opposition to those who wish to destroy us and remember that hatred is the refuge of small-minded individuals and will only breed more.

"Words will never be able to match his essence, there will only ever be one James.

"Nowhere else will you find such humour and a unique personality, someone who puts friends and family above all others.

"He was an inspiration."

She added police told her they were unable to formally identify him until the coroner's releases a report on Tuesday.

  • Christine Archibald, 30, was the first to be named.

She died in her fiance's arms after being struck by the speeding van on London Bridge.

Her family said she would have had "no understanding of the callous cruelty that caused her death".

  • :A French citizen was also killed, foreign affairs minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said.

The victim has not yet been named but French newspapers reported that he was from St Malo, Brittany, and worked in a bar in the London Bridge area.

Five people were reported missing and have not been seen since the attack:

  • Sebastien Belanger has not been seen since the attack, his girlfriend Gerda Bennet said on Facebook.

"I have emergency over here guys! My boyfriend is missing for 24h after London Bridge terror attack," she posted, adding on Monday: "I still have no news."

His friends have set up a page on the social networking site in an attempt to find him.

  • Xavier Thomas and his girlfriend, Christine Delcros, are said to have both been victims.

Nathalie Cros Brohan said on Facebook her sister Ms Delcros was injured and taken to hospital, while Mr Thomas is yet to be found.

"I call on all those who have news of #Xavier #Thomas who is missing," she posted. "We're terribly worried."

  • Australian Sara Zelenak's friends have appealed for help to find her on social media.

Pri Goncalves said on Facebook she was the last person to see her on Saturday night.

She wrote: "I called her a lot of times but she never picked up the phone. She hasn't been seen since the attack and we are all scared, worried but hoping she will be all right."

  • Family members have appealed on social media to trace Spaniard Ignacio Echeverria, 39.

Joaquin Echeverria wrote on Facebook he had been seen "defending someone with his skateboard", adding: "We keep looking for Ignacio, disappeared in the London attacks. We pray for the better. We would really appreciate any news."

  Dozens of others were injured, including four police officers:

  • A British Transport Police (BTP) officer was stabbed in the head, face and leg after taking on the knifemen armed only with his baton.

The policeman, who was on duty, was one of the first at the scene after he responded to calls for help from the public and suffered serious injuries, which the force said are not thought to be life-threatening.

  • An off-duty Metropolitan Police officer was in hospital with serious injuries after he confronted the attackers with no weapon.

Commissioner Cressida Dick said she was "enormously proud" of the unarmed officer who stepped in to help uniformed colleagues and members of the public.

The officer, who was based in Southwark, remains in hospital in a serious condition.

  • Two other Met officers, who were both on duty, received less serious injuries during the rampage.

Police said a plainclothes officer received stitches to a head injury, while a uniformed officer suffered an injury to his arm.

  • New Zealander Oliver Dowling is reported to have been left in a coma after being stabbed in the face, neck and stomach.

The 32-year-old, from Christchurch, was said to have had four hours of surgery for his injuries and was in an induced coma.

It was reported his girlfriend, Marie Bondeville, was also injured.

  • Sunday Express business editor Geoff Ho was left in intensive care after being stabbed in the throat when he tried to help a wounded bouncer.

Mr Ho was filmed being led away from the scene by a policeman, clutching his neck and with his shirt off.

He has tweeted: "Thank you every one for the best wishes. I got out of surgery yesterday and am on the mend."

  • Two Australians were stabbed in the neck while prime minister Malcolm Turnbull said the government had "very real concerns" about another two citizens who may have been caught up in the attacks.

Candice Hedge is recovering in St Thomas' Hospital, while Andrew Morrison received stitches for a wound and was on his way home to Australia.

  • Seven other French nationals were taken to hospital, four of whom were in a critical condition, Mr Le Drian said.

Another French national is missing, he added.

  • Daniel O'Neill, 23, was left with a 7in wound from his stomach to his back and was saved by a friend who applied a tourniquet and took him downstairs in a pub.

His mother, Elizabeth O'Neill, said her son was approached by one of the attackers who said, "this is for my family, this is for Islam", before sticking a knife in him.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph