Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Looting accused millionaire's girl in court

A millionaire's daughter accused of stealing televisions and mobile phones during the London riots was told yesterday she could not resume her university studies until after her trial next month.

Laura Johnson (19), an undergraduate studying English and Italian at the University of Exeter, was granted conditional bail during a short hearing at Camberwell Green Magistrates Court in south London.

As well as extending restrictions on her entering London other than to attend court or to meet her lawyers, an electronic tag will continue to prevent her from leaving her parents' house between 7pm and 6am prior to her trial on October 5.

The family home in Orpington, Kent, owned by Ms Johnson's company-director father Robert and her mother Lindsay has a tennis court in its grounds.

Ms Johnson, who is yet to enter a plea, was joined by her parents in court yesterday. She faces five charges of burglary relating to the looting of a branch of Comet in Charlton, south-east London.

Her case centres on £5,000 worth of electronic equipment including TVs and mobile phones found in a car she is alleged to have been driving.

Meanwhile, the sentences of two men each jailed for four years for using Facebook to incite riots will be among the first of those related to the August unrest to go to appeal. Ten cases are expected to be listed next week, and yesterday the lawyers for Jordan Blackshaw (20) and Perry Sutcliffe-Keenan (22), both from Cheshire, said theirs would be reviewed by the Lord Chief Justice.

Ministry of Justice figures indicate that, on average, cases going to Crown Court involving rioters in August have resulted in sentences 18% longer than others — while more cases have also seen defendants sent to Crown Court and remanded in custody

More than 2,590 people have been arrested by the police and more than 1,500 people face charges following rioting and looting across London last month.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph